The BPEC Foundation Diploma in Domestic Gas managed learning package is an absolute beginners guide to gas where you are taken through the theory and practical elements of core Gas and appliances in a safe and controlled environment. Our assessors have over 170 years’ experience between them, so in your first 6 weeks with us they will guide you through subjects such as gas theory, gas safety legislation, unsafe situations and appliances (central heating boilers, cookers, fires, water heaters) continuously checking your knowledge and understanding before your guaranteed placement within Kier.
You then undertake your 8 week work placement within Kier. You only ever work 1:1 with one of our experienced and qualified Gas Safe engineers who will take you under their wing and show you everything from servicing to repairs & maintenance allowing you hands on experience to build up your portfolio. Our staff do between 8-10 servicing appointments a day, on a range of appliances and boilers providing you with a first class opportunity to learn about a range of products and problems for your portfolio, making you ready for your final assessment.
Our managed learning programme also includes:
- Kier ID Badge, Uniform and PPE on arrival
- Health & Safety – to ensure that you have a general understanding of Health & Safety while you are out on site with us and for your new career
- Asbestos awareness – as you could end up working in cavity spaces, under floors, up into roof spaces and it is essential you know what you are looking for incase you come across asbestos in homes. Your safety is paramount to us now and in the future.
- Your final 2 weeks are back in centre completing your ACS assessment qualifications – this is made up of CCN1 Core gas, CPA1 combustion analysis inc in CCN1, CKR1 cookers, MET1 gas meters, CENWAT1 boilers & water heaters and HTR1 Fires.
Once you have your certificates you can apply to Gas Safe for your card – you will be recognised as competent and legally allowed to work on gas.
FREE LPG training - we also offer you free changegover to LPG (2-3 days) on completion of your course, and upon evidence you are gas safe registered and have been working on gas for at least 6 months. Only available to those that have completed the BPEC Foundation Diploma since Oct 2017.
Please note this is an intensive course, with homework every night over 16 weeks in addition to your full time course. Any time off during this course will result in a delay to your final assessments as you must cover the course content and get the experience in full before your final assessments.
The 16 week BPEC Foundation Diploma includes:
Week 6 you will be assessed in domestic gas to check what you further need to learn and practice on placement. You will also get to complete your CSCS test and asbestos awareness which must be successfully passed before you go on placement
- tightness test, purge, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm in small natural gas installations
- understanding health & safety in gas utilisation
- understanding scientific principles in gas utilisation
- understanding combustion and properties of natural gas
- understanding gas safety
- specific core installation and maintenance
- install domestic gas cookers, fires, boilers & meters
- maintain domestic gas cookers, fires, boilers & meters
- install commission and de-commission pipework
- 1:1 quality work placement within Kier * or shared with one of our vetted preferred subcontractors
- Portfolio review
- Final ACS assessments
BPEC Foundation Diploma in Domestic Gas leading to ACS
CCN1, MET1, CKR1, CENWAT1 and HTR1
Training centre locations:
Pre-requisites to the course
General life skills required, this course is ideal for career changers. This course is not for first time working individuals or anyone under the age of 18. 16-18 are recommended to take the apprenticeship route to ensure all skills are learnt in the workplace.
You will be required to undertake the BPEC initial assessment – you can try the practice test on their website www.bpec.org.uk under Learners section (Aptitude test)– you would be expected to get a minimum of 75% to join the course.
Once you are booked with us, on your first day you must bring with you:
- All previous original certification if applicable
- 2 passport size photographs
- National Insurance Number
- Photographic ID e.g driving licence or Passport
Please note policy on re-sits: there is no charge to re-sit any part of your gas assessments should you fail. Limited to one assessment per person.
- BPEC Foundation Diploma in Domestic Gas
- Gas Safe CCN1 Core gas, CPA1 (incorporated into CCN1), CKR1 (cookers), MET1 (meters), CENWAT1 (water heaters and boilers) and HTR1 (Fires)
Name: William (Bill) Walton
Position: Trainer, Assessor
Experience: Bill has worked in the gas industry for over 37 years having started with Northern Gas in 1977. Qualified in both domestic and commercial gas, Bill has worked in the North East for Truscott Engineering, Initial Property Maintenance, North Tyneside Council and most recently Kier.
With experience in taking gas apprentices under his wing and being one of the most experienced ‘go to’ men in the gas team, the natural progression for Bill was to start teaching it and his effortless and instinctive training ability meant he was the obvious choice for the team.
Bill enjoys meeting new people, sharing his knowledge and experience in a fun and humorous way, with plenty of real life examples. He has served with the TA, is interested in all things military and enjoys socialising with family and friends.
Bill is also the First Aider and Fire Marshall for the training centre in Killingworth, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
You are guaranteed a 1:1 placement with one of our (or our partners) experienced and qualified Gas Safe engineers who will take you under their wing and show you everything from servicing, installations to repairs & maintenance allowing you hands on experience to build up your portfolio. Our staff do between 8-10 servicing appointments a day, on a range of appliances and boilers providing you with a first class opportunity to learn about a range of products and problems for your portfolio, making you ready for your final assessment.
Work placements are only available in North Tyneside, occasionally we can arrange them elsewhere so please ask. If you want to find your own placement for the 8 weeks, we will discount the course accordingly.