Once you have your commercial catering qualifications, legally you need to renew them every 5 years. If you have expired more than 12 months ago you will need to take Initial. It will depend on what appliances you first qualified in as to what the content will be.
Candidates must bring with them:
- All previous original certification
- 2 passport size photographs
- National Insurance Number
- Photographic ID e.g driving licence or Passport
Please note policy on re-sits: there is no charge to re-sit any part of your assessment should you fail. Limited to one assessment per person.
The course & assessment includes:
- Gas Emergency Actions and Procedures
- Identification of Unsafe Situations
- Characteristics of Combustion
- Installation of Pipework and Fittings
- The Operation of and Positioning of Emergency Isolation Controls and Valves
- Emergency Notices and Warning Labels
- Checking and Setting Appliance Burner Pressures
- The Operation and Checking of Appliance Gas Safety Devices and Controls
- Re-establish Existing Gas Supply and Relight Appliances
We will also assess your appliances (COMCAT 1 or 3) at the same time, and the content will include:
COMCAT1 - Install, Exchange, Disconnect, Service, Repair, Breakdown and Commission Gas Catering Appliances as follows:
- Boiling burners open/solid top (ranges)
- Boiling tables
- Stockpot stoves, hotplates, warming plates
- Bain-marie, hot cupboards
- Combination ovens, forced convection ovens
- Natural convection ovens direct/semi/indirect
- Combined gas microwave ovens
- Ancillary equipment
COMCAT3 - Install, Exchange, Disconnect, Service, Repair, Breakdown and Commission Commercial Gas Catering Appliances as follows:
- Deep fat and pressure fryers
- Bratt pans
- Grill over- and under-fired
- Simulated charcoal grills
- Salamander grills
- Ancillary equipment
- CCCN1, Core Commercial Catering Gas Safety plus (one or both of the following):
- COMCAT1, Catering Appliances: Table 1, Open/Solid Top Range
- COMCAT3, Catering Appliances: Table 3, Deep Fat/Pressure Fryers
Name: William (Bill) Walton
Position: Trainer, Assessor
Experience: Bill has worked in the gas industry for over 37 years having started with Northern Gas in 1977. Qualified in both domestic and commercial gas, Bill has worked in the North East for Truscott Engineering, Initial Property Maintenance, North Tyneside Council and most recently Kier.
With experience in taking gas apprentices under his wing and being one of the most experienced ‘go to’ men in the gas team, the natural progression for Bill was to start teaching it and his effortless and instinctive training ability meant he was the obvious choice for the team.
Bill enjoys meeting new people, sharing his knowledge and experience in a fun and humorous way, with plenty of real life examples. He has served with the TA, is interested in all things military and enjoys socialising with family and friends.
Bill is also the First Aider and Fire Marshall for the training centre in Killingworth, Newcastle Upon Tyne.