The L3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation managed learning package is an absolute beginners guide to Gas where you are taken through the theory and practical elements of core Gas and appliances in a safe and controlled environment. Our assessors have over 170 years’ experience between them, so in your first 8 weeks with us they will guide you through subjects such as gas theory, gas safety legislation, unsafe situations and appliances (central heating boilers, cookers, fires, water heaters) continuously checking your knowledge and understanding before your guaranteed placement within Kier.
You then undertake your 8 week work placement within Kier. You only ever work 1:1 with one of our experienced and qualified Gas Safe engineers who will take you under their wing and show you everything from servicing to repairs & maintenance allowing you hands on experience to build up your portfolio. Our staff do between 8-10 servicing appointments a day, on a range of appliances and boilers providing you with a first class opportunity to learn about a range of products and problems for your portfolio, making you ready for your final assessment.
Our Level 3 programme also includes:
- Kier ID Badge, Uniform and PPE on arrival
- Health & Safety Unit – to ensure that you have a general understanding of Health & Safety while you are out on site with us and for your new career
- Asbestos awareness – as you could end up working in cavity spaces, under floors, up into roof spaces and it is essential you know what you are looking for incase you come across asbestos in homes. Your safety is paramount to us now and in the future.
- Project - on pipework and positioning domestic appliances in a property
- Your final 4 weeks are back in centre completing your Level 3 assessment qualifications – this is made up of Independent Summative Assessment, that cover Core gas, combustion analysis, cookers, gas meters, LPG, domestic laundry & leisure appliances. Should you want any additional units such as CENWAT1 and HTR1 please let us know as we will add them.
Once you have your certificates you can apply to Gas Safe for your card – you will be recognised as competent and legally allowed to work on gas.
The 20 week L3 Diploma includes:
- 201 tightness test, purge, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 35mm in small natural gas installations
- 301 understanding health & safety in gas utilisation
- 302 understanding scientific principles in gas utilisation
- 303 understanding combustion and properties of natural gas
- 304 understand buildings, services and structures
- 305 understanding gas safety
- 308 specific core installation and maintenance
- 309 install domestic gas cookers, tumble dryers and leisure appliances
- 310 maintain domestic gas cookers, tumble dryers and leisure appliances
- 313 install commission and de-commission pipework up to 35mm and 1 ¼ diameter in domestic and small commercial premises
- You will also train in install, service and maintain boilers and fires and be assessed in week 20.
- 1:1 quality work placement within Kier * or shared with one of our vetted preferred subcontractors (4 weeks/4 weeks)
- Portfolio review
- Final ISA/ACS assessments
City & Guilds L3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation
CCN1, CONGLP1PD, LPG permanent Dwellings, CPA1, MET1, CKR1, LAU1, LEI1,
CENWAT1 and HTR1
Training centre locations:
Pre-requisites to the course
General life skills required, this course is ideal for career changers. This course is not for first time working individuals or anyone under the age of 18. 16-18 are recommended to take the apprenticeship route to ensure all skills are learnt in the workplace.
You will be required to undertake the BPEC initial assessment – you can try the practice test on their website www.bpec.org.uk under Learners section (Aptitude test)– you would be expected to get a minimum of 75% to join the course.
Once you are booked with us, on your first day you must bring with you:
- All previous original certification if applicable
- 2 passport size photographs
- National Insurance Number
- Photographic ID e.g driving licence or Passport
Please note policy on re-sits: there is no charge to re-sit any part of your gas assessments should you fail. Limited to one assessment per person.
- City & Guilds L3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation
- Gas Safe aligned to CCN1 Core gas, CPA1 (incorporated into CCN1), CKR1 (cookers), LAU1 (Laundry), LEI1 (Leisure) MET2 (meters), CONGLP1 (LPG conversion for permanent dwellings)
- If you have requested we include it you will also gain CENWAT1 (water heaters and boilers) and HTR1 (Fires)
Name: William (Bill) Walton
Position: Trainer, Assessor
Experience: Bill has worked in the gas industry for over 37 years having started with Northern Gas in 1977. Qualified in both domestic and commercial gas, Bill has worked in the North East for Truscott Engineering, Initial Property Maintenance, North Tyneside Council and most recently Kier.
With experience in taking gas apprentices under his wing and being one of the most experienced ‘go to’ men in the gas team, the natural progression for Bill was to start teaching it and his effortless and instinctive training ability meant he was the obvious choice for the team.
Bill enjoys meeting new people, sharing his knowledge and experience in a fun and humorous way, with plenty of real life examples. He has served with the TA, is interested in all things military and enjoys socialising with family and friends.
Bill is also the First Aider and Fire Marshall for the training centre in Killingworth, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Trainer, Assessor, IV
Darren has worked in the gas industry for almost 30 years having started with IG Clements in 1986. Qualified in both domestic, commercial gas & catering, Darren is also the centre Internal Verifier. Darren has worked for Trolhurst, British Gas and Trade Training and we were thrilled to have Darren join the team in the summer of 2015.
Darren made the jump from being on the tools, to training with British Gas in 2003 having been one of the team responsible for the setting up the British Gas ACS centre in Killingworth – which is now our current training and assessment centre.
Darren enjoys time with his family, sharing his dry sense of humour with the team and learners and outdoor activities.
You are guaranteed a 1:1 placement with one of our (or our partners) experienced and qualified Gas Safe engineers who will take you under their wing and show you everything from servicing to repairs & maintenance allowing you hands on experience to build up your portfolio. Our staff do between 8-10 servicing appointments a day, on a range of appliances and boilers providing you with a first class opportunity to learn about a range of products and problems for your portfolio, making you ready for your final assessment.
Work placements are only available in North Tyneside, occasionally we can arrange them elsewhere so please ask. If you want to find your own placement for the 8 weeks, we will discount the course accordingly.