The Part L qualification is designed for central heating installers that need to self-certificate their work via one of the Competent Persons Schemes (CPS). The course covers the requirements of Part L of the Building Regulations.
The qualification normally takes one-day to complete and is assessed by a short multi-choice theory examination and is normally valid for 5 years.
Pre-requisites Applicants should be experienced installers of gas, oil, or solid fuel domestic central heating systems.
Candidates must bring with them:
- All previous original certification
- 2 passport size photographs
- National Insurance Number
- Photographic ID e.g driving licence or Passport
Please note policy on re-sits: there is no charge to re-sit any part of your assessment should you fail. Limited to one assessment per person.
- Understand the regulatory requirements and sources of guidance for energy efficiency standards for gas-fired and oil-firedheating appliances connected to ‘wet’ heating circuits
- Be able to determine if a non-condensing boiler installation would be acceptable
- Recognise the requirement relating to space heating primary circuits type and design for gas-fired and oil-fired ‘wet’ heating systems
- Appreciate the compliance standards requirement for hot water storage vessels
- Understand the requirements relating to the preparation and water treatment of hot water systems and wet central heating systems
- Understand the requirements relating to the commissioning of hot water systems and wet central heating systems
- Know the requirements of the minimum standards for the control of gas-fired and oil-fired wet central heating systems
- Know the requirements of the minimum standards for the control of insulation of pipework for gas-fired and oil-fired wetcentral heating and hot water storage systems
- Know the requirements relating to standalone, glandless heating system circulators.
- BPEC Part L – Energy Efficiency
Name: William (Bill) Walton
Position: Trainer, Assessor
Experience: Bill has worked in the gas industry for over 37 years having started with Northern Gas in 1977. Qualified in both domestic and commercial gas, Bill has worked in the North East for Truscott Engineering, Initial Property Maintenance, North Tyneside Council and most recently Kier.
With experience in taking gas apprentices under his wing and being one of the most experienced ‘go to’ men in the gas team, the natural progression for Bill was to start teaching it and his effortless and instinctive training ability meant he was the obvious choice for the team.
Bill enjoys meeting new people, sharing his knowledge and experience in a fun and humorous way, with plenty of real life examples. He has served with the TA, is interested in all things military and enjoys socialising with family and friends.
Bill is also the First Aider and Fire Marshall for the training centre in Killingworth, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Trainer, Assessor, IV
Darren has worked in the gas industry for almost 30 years having started with IG Clements in 1986. Qualified in both domestic, commercial gas & catering, Darren is also the centre Internal Verifier. Darren has worked for Trolhurst, British Gas and Trade Training and we were thrilled to have Darren join the team in the summer of 2015.
Darren made the jump from being on the tools, to training with British Gas in 2003 having been one of the team responsible for the setting up the British Gas ACS centre in Killingworth – which is now our current training and assessment centre.
Darren enjoys time with his family, sharing his dry sense of humour with the team and learners and outdoor activities.